Local News

Pan left on stove ignites Marine View condo fire

One person sustained a minor injury caused by a fire late Thursday night at the Marine View condominium building on Tongass Avenue.

Emergency dispatchers were alerted to the fire at 11:52 p.m., when a caller reported “smoke and flames in the building.”

Fire Chief Frank Share says firefighters arrived on scene about three minutes later, and reported smoke from the third floor.

Firefighters initially were told that the residents might be inside, but after investigating, they found no one in the third-floor condo. The building was evacuated and the fire put under control.

Share says the fire was caused by a pan left on the stove. The fire did not escape the condo in which it started. Fire crews worked until 2:43 a.m., ventilating all 11 floors and cleaning up water on the first three floors.

Twenty-one Ketchikan Fire Department members responded with nine units, along with mutual aid provided by North and South Tongass Volunteer Fire Departments.

The injured person was a civilian.

Recent News

Draft petition calls for a third city in Ketchikan

Settlers Cove State Park. (KRBD file photo)
Consolidation has failed in Ketchikan many times in the past. Now, a group of people in the Ketchikan Gateway Borough’s North End is trying something completely different: They want to create another city in the borough, which would add a fourth local government in a community of about 13,000 people. more

Committee recommends no local retail pot ban

(Creative Commons photo by Brett Levin)
The Ketchikan Marijuana Advisory Committee voted unanimously Wednesday to recommend that the various municipal governments in the borough not ban the commercial sale of marijuana in Ketchikan, at least not until after the state has completed its regulation process. more