Local News

Pan left on stove ignites Marine View condo fire

One person sustained a minor injury caused by a fire late Thursday night at the Marine View condominium building on Tongass Avenue.

Emergency dispatchers were alerted to the fire at 11:52 p.m., when a caller reported “smoke and flames in the building.”

Fire Chief Frank Share says firefighters arrived on scene about three minutes later, and reported smoke from the third floor.

Firefighters initially were told that the residents might be inside, but after investigating, they found no one in the third-floor condo. The building was evacuated and the fire put under control.

Share says the fire was caused by a pan left on the stove. The fire did not escape the condo in which it started. Fire crews worked until 2:43 a.m., ventilating all 11 floors and cleaning up water on the first three floors.

Twenty-one Ketchikan Fire Department members responded with nine units, along with mutual aid provided by North and South Tongass Volunteer Fire Departments.

The injured person was a civilian.

Recent News

P2P finalist wants to open a space for art

Laura Kinunen and her daughter on the beach. (Photo courtesy Laura Kinunen)
Path to Prosperity finalist Laura Kinunen has been thinking about and planning her business for years. The Ketchikan resident hopes that the Southeast-based small-business competition will help move The Artist Workshop from concept to reality. more

Tax cap, pot tax up for Ktn Assembly consideration

Borough Seal
Two tax proposals are in front of the Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly on Monday. The first would raise the sales-tax cap on single-purchase items from $1,000 to $1,500; the second would establish a boroughwide marijuana excise tax. more