Local News

Six indicted in POW child disappearance case

Six people have been indicted in an alleged child disappearance case that stretches back nearly two years.

John Mathis Sr., John Mathis Jr., and four others were charged in Craig court on March 14 in the alleged disappearance of two juveniles, 13 and 15 years old, from Prince of Wales Island.

The whereabouts of either Mathis is unknown, according to District Attorney Stephen West. But West, who is overseeing the case, says there is reason to believe Mathis Senior has fled the country. Warrants have been issued for both.

According to court documents, the boys, who are related to the Mathises, were missing between June 2011 and February 2012.

Three of the others indicted currently reside in Ohio – District Attorney West says that a decision has not yet been made on whether to extradite those individuals to Alaska for prosecution.

John Mathis Sr. also is wanted on an outstanding warrant issued in February for three counts of alleged sexual assault on a minor. Court documents indicate that Mathis is the parent, step-parent or guardian of that child, who is now 37. At the time of the alleged crimes, the victim was under 18.

Recent News

Ketchikan borough to consider mine resolution

Muddy water from the breached Mount Polley Mine tailings pond dam floods a downstream creek and road Monday. (Cariboo Regional District Emergency Operations Centre photo)
A resolution urging the International Joint Commission to get involved in the issue of transboundary mines will be in front of the Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly on Monday. more

State identifies body from Blackberry Lane fire

The state Medical Examiner’s Office has positively identified a body from last week’s house fire as that of the resident, 49-year-old Ralph Smith of Ketchikan. more