The Ketchikan man killed in Monday’s house fire has been identified as 60-year-old George Mather Jr.

According to a news release from Ketchikan Fire Chief Abner Hoage, Mather died of smoke inhalation. Hoage writes that during an autopsy, the State Medical Examiner’s Office found high levels of carbon monoxide in Mather’s blood.

The cause of Monday morning’s fire has been determined to be faulty wiring in the living room area. Hoage told KRBD on Tuesday that there was a smoke detector in the home, but the battery had been removed.

If the smoke detector had been working, Hoage said it likely would have alerted the resident, because the fire appeared to have smoldered for a long time.

Hoage writes in Thursday’s news release that the fire department recommends smoke detectors be placed in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of a home. Detectors also should be tested regularly, and have new batteries at least every year.