The Alaska State Fire Marshal’s Office announced this week that Friday is Pet Fire Safety Day.

A National Fire Protection Association tip sheet provided by the Fire Marshal states that about 700 home fires annually are started by pets and other animals, knocking over cooking equipment or candles, for example.

The National Fire Protection Association recommends keeping pets away those items, and away from lamps and space heaters. Fireplaces should be blocked with heat-tempered screens. It’s also recommended that pet owners check electrical cords, to make sure their pets haven’t chewed and frayed them.

Smoke alarms on every level of a home are recommended for every home owner.

In case of a house fire, pet owners are asked to not go back inside to find pets. Instead, they should let firefighters know that a pet is trapped inside.