(Ketchikan Fire Department photo)

(Ketchikan Fire Department photo)

An overheated dryer caught fire Sunday afternoon at the Highliner Laundromat on Tongass Avenue north of the mall.

According to the Ketchikan Fire Department, the call came in a little before 2 p.m. Sunday. When crews arrived, they found that everyone had evacuated the building. Crews also found the first floor full of smoke.

Fire crews put out the interior fire with a fire extinguisher, then brought the smoldering News Tileclothes into the parking lot to douse with a fire hose.

According to the fire department, there were no injuries to occupants or firefighters. The dryer sustained moderate fire damage, and the contents of the dryer were a total loss.

The Ketchikan Fire department notes that dryers should not be left unattended while in use.