A Ketchikan Gateway Borough Assembly member has proposed changing the TV channel at the borough-run airport.

The assembly on Monday will consider a proposal from Assembly Member Rodney Dial to broadcast “non-political” television shows at the airport. In his sponsor statement, Dial writes that the current broadcast is news, which is often political. 

He writes that the airport should provide more than one news-media source to “respect the views of all citizens.” If that’s not feasible, Dial writes that the airport should broadcast neutral programs.

Airport Manager Mike Carney says the airport broadcasts “CNN Airport News,” which is a special news broadcast geared specifically for airports and the traveling public.

Carney says the airport news channel doesn’t show graphic coverage of airline or other accidents, unless they concern national security. The special channel also won’t broadcast sexually explicit material or graphic violence in general.

Carney says the television sets and special programming are provided at no charge to the airport by KPU Telecom.

Also on Monday, the assembly will look at a request for proposals for the borough’s tobacco-tax grant program. The borough collects a $2-per-pack tobacco tax, with 85 percent of the proceeds going to local schools. The grant program will be funded through the remaining 15 percent.

The request for proposals would solicit applications from entities that provide direct health-care services for people with tobacco-related diseases.

Monday’s meeting starts at 5:30 p.m. in Borough Assembly chambers at the White Cliff building. Public comment will be heard at the start of the meeting.