Memorial Day is on Monday, and Ketchikan veterans’ organizations are working together to honor soldiers who died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.
The main ceremony starts at 11 a.m. at Bayview Cemetery Mausoleum. Guest speakers will include USCG Ketchikan Commander Ashley Holt; Ketchikan Gateway Borough Mayor David Landis; and Chere Klein of the offices of Sens. Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan.
There will also be a wreath laying by the local Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion Auxiliaries, prayers by Post Chaplains, and the playing of taps.
Other events include a pancake breakfast at the American Legion Post 3 on Park Avenue; a short march on Dock Street; and open houses at both the American Legion and the VFW Post 4352 on Tongass Avenue.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 8:00-9:30 a.m. Pancake Breakfast American Legion Post 3 (631 Park Ave.)
- 10:00 a.m. March to City’s Center (629 Dock St., Parking Lot)
- 11:00 a.m. Assemble Bay View Cemetery Mausoleum (1121 Stedman St.)
- 11:30-1:00 p.m. American Legion Post 3 Open House (631 Park Ave.)
- 1:00-3:00 p.m. VFW Post 4352 Open House (3113 Tongass Ave.)