Youth fishing events are scheduled throughout June in various communities within the Tongass National Forest.
The Ketchikan-Misty Fiords Ranger District’s annual Kids Fishing Derby at City Park starts at 9 a.m. on June 18th, and lasts until noon.
Kids ages 3-15 can fish for salmon in the City Park ponds, and participate in fun, educational activities from fish painting to fishing ethics. For more information, call Jessica Davila at 225-2148.
The Craig and Thorne Bay Ranger Districts will celebrate the Prince of Wales Island Jim Beard Memorial Kids Fishing Day at Gravely Creek in Thorne Bay on June 25th. The event starts at 9 a.m. and runs until 2 p.m.
POW participants should bring fishing gear, and a T-shirt for the fish-printing activity. For more information, contact Brandy Prefontaine at 828-3217.
Other youth fishing events on the Tongass are:
- The Juneau Ranger District’s annual co-hosted Family Fishing Day at Twin Lakes on June 4th.
- The Hoonah Ranger District’s annual Kids Fishing Derby at Icy Strait Point on June 4th.
- The Sitka Ranger District’s annual Kids Fishing Day at Swan Lake picnic area on June 11th.
- The Petersburg Ranger District’s Kake Kids Fishing Derby on June 18th.
- The Wrangell Ranger District’s co-hosted Pat’s Lake Trout Adventure on June 18th.
- The Yakutat Ranger District Family Fishing Day at the Yakutat Small Boat Harbor on June 25th.